Lifeguard Certification Class
Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 1-3
8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Support Site Pool
American Red Cross is a well-respected source for lifeguard training and certification. Certification is mandatory to be hired as a lifeguard. The certification, which includes First Aid/CPR/AED training, is valid for two and is accepted nationwide.
The course is available for US ID cardholders.
Participants must be 15 years old by the end of the course and pass the required pre-test.
Students must pass a pre-course swimming skills test before participating in the lifeguard course. The pre-test is Tuesday, Sept. 28 or Thursday, Sept. 30, at 4 p.m. in Capodichino Pool.
Pre-test swimming requirements:
1. Swim 300 meters continuously (no stopping) that demonstrates:
- Minimum 100 meters continuous front crawl with proper stroke form, rhythmic breathing (face in the water, breathing to the side) and a stabilizing, propellant flutter kick
2. Minimum 100 meters continuous breaststroke with proper stroke form, proper breathing/timing and propellant breaststroke kick
- Timed object retrieval that demonstrates:
3. Swim 20 meters, surface dive to the bottom of the pool and retrieve a 10-pound object, return to surface and swim 20 meters back to the starting point with the object within a designated timeframe.
- Timed tread that demonstrates:
- Treading water for 2 minutes using kick only.
- Training includes hands-on skills and written tests.
- $100 course fee. Pay after pre-test has been passed, but before class begins.
- Fee if non-refundable if fail course or are absent for portions of the class.
- Fee will be refunded for participants who complete certification and are hired by MWR Aquatics for year-round or 2022 summer position. (MWR lifeguards must be 16 years old for summer seasonal positions and 18 years old for year-round positions.)
- Course cost includes training materials, pocket mask and, upon successful completion of class, a two-year valid universal certificate for Lifeguard, First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.
- The course is a blended format: Seven hours online and 24 hours in-person training. Complete online portions as homework before certain days of class.
Three ways to register
- Email MWR Aquatics at email@example.com. Include student’s name, chosen date of pre-test and phone number for further communication.
- Call the Capodichino Pool at 081-568-4256 / DSN 626-4256 Monday-Friday, 5 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Stop by Capodichino Pool Monday-Friday, 5 a.m.-7 p.m. and speak with Megan Steinbergs or Eliana Cafarrelli
After registration, each student will receive an email with pre-test date, participation form to complete, class schedule and homework/class topics to be discussed each day.
Register by Wednesday, Sept. 29.
Pre-test at Capodichino Pool Tuesday, Sept. 28, 4 p.m. or Thursday, Sept. 30, 4 p.m.
Minimum five students and maximum 10 students per class.